Friday, June 18, 2010

I yam what I yam - Baby O 18 weeks

Your fetus has become amazingly mobile (at least compared to you), passing the hours yawning, hiccuping, rolling, twisting, kicking, punching, sucking and swallowing. And, baby's finally big enough that you'll be able to feel those movements soon

Your baby is about 12cm long from crown to rump and she weighs about 190g. Her chest moves up and down to mimic breathing. Her blood vessels are visible through her thin skin, and her ears are now in their final position, although they're still standing out from her head a bit.

Soon you may get glimpse of all the things your baby is getting up in your uterus (womb). A mid-pregnancy ultrasound scan, called an anomaly scan, is usually done between 18 and 22 weeks. This assesses your baby's growth and development and checks whether the gestational age is accurate.

During this scan, you might see your baby kick, flex, reach, roll, or even suck her thumb. See if your partner can come along to share the thrilling sight of your baby, and ask if you can have images from the scan.

If you're having a girl, the vagina, uterus (womb), and fallopian tubes are in place. If it's a boy, his genitals will be distinct and recognisable. If you are carrying more than one baby, check out our section on twins or more.

From now on, when you lie down, it's best to lie on your side, or at least partly tilted to one side. When you lie flat on your back, your uterus can compress a major vein. This may make you feel dizzy, because less blood can return to your heart. Try placing a pillow behind you or under your hip or upper leg for comfort.

PERSONAL UPDATE:  I had to push my doc appointment from yesterday until Monday so I'll have an update for you next week.  I am excited to go, I still haven't felt this baby move which according to textbook is totally normal but my other 2 had felt a few weeks already by this point!  I also have my big ultrasound coming up which is always neat.  I can't believe at this point we already knew Sawyer was a boy.  I still am not going to find out but I will admit during that ultrasound it will be tough!  I will stay strong!!!


2 comments:

Laura said...

U SAID I CAN HAVE IT IF ITS A GIRL...SO FIND OUT :D

Erica Ragen said...

yay for the little baby yam! i love these updates... thanks :) ps, have you started to think up some names?? xoxo